Fancy a Swish?

“Save money, save the planet, have a party: swishing effortlessly touches all of these buttons. Swishing parties are for all those women who want to combine glamour, environmental protection and frugality.”
Lucy Shea, founder of Swishing and Chief Executive of Futerra Sustainability Communications.

Perhaps men can do this too, Lucy?

To organise a Swishing party, get together with some friends, bring any clothes with you that you’d like to exchange, add some shared food and drinks to sustain the fun.  Get swopping – sorry Swishing! Simplicity itself!

Here’s a happy little TED talk about how to combine the joys of used clothing with travelling light and giving to charity.

I’d love to hear of any other similar ideas.

8 Responses to Fancy a Swish?

1. Karen @ Pledging for Change June 25, 2011 at 8:18 pm #

Isn’t it a fab idea Sally? I have been to one or two swaps (swishes as you are calling them )and had a great time meeting new people and laughing as some of us fought over the best stuff. (Not really fighting lol). So if several people all wanted the same thing those pieces went up as auction pieces and the proceeds to a fundraiser.

Loved the vid.. the best part being how her mother had taught her that if you believe you are a beautiful person insde then you will be able to wear anything and look great! This is soooo true as we only live lives obsessed with fashion because someone decided that fashion was important and bombards us all every where we turn. It isn’t at all important in the greater scheme of things.

2. Sally June 27, 2011 at 9:48 am #

Fashion is an interesting one. I love to see designers doing creative things with clothes…however it’s at the point where our identity becomes mixed up with ‘this seasons styles and colours’ as decided by someone else, that I opt out! I enjoy being creative with my own clothes and knowing what colours and styles suit me, regardless of whether they are currently in vogue. One of my favourite pastimes at the moment is altering second hand clothes to make them unique.

3. Sharon Mathew June 29, 2011 at 12:19 pm #

I believe it is a great idea as it also gives and opportunity to protect the environment. Thanks for sharing.

4. Anna Gordon July 11, 2011 at 4:01 pm #

We used to do this as part of a Staff Appreciation Day at one of my old workplaces. Lots of fun!

5. Sally July 14, 2011 at 11:01 am #

Sharon – that’s what I like about it too, the combinations of wins.

Anna – That does sound like fun and maybe quite enlightening to try out the clothes (or maybe the shoes?) of the others we work with. It adds a whole new dimension to the idea of ‘powerdressing’ don’t you think? e.g. What if I were to swop clothes with my boss? How would others change in their approach to me, if at all?

6. Anna Gordon July 14, 2011 at 2:38 pm #

I never even considered that! Now that I think about it, you’re right. It was rather interesting to see that the “conservative” lady had some “party girl” clothes, or that the “gruff” lady had a maternity shirt that she hung on to for 20 years for sentimental reasons. This really has me thinking….
    Thanks Sally!

7. Sally July 15, 2011 at 10:01 am #

Anna – that made me smile! I guess there can be many sides to those we work with. Intriguing to catch a glimpse of those from time to time. I wonder if it helps with working relationships and communication too.

8. Anna Gordon July 15, 2011 at 4:05 pm #

Glad to hear it made you smile! I think I was, and still am, closer to most of the people from that workplace than any other place I’ve worked. We’ve all moved in different directions over the years, but still manage to keep in touch. Perhaps it was those things we took for granted that made all the difference.
    Enjoy a wonderful weekend. :)